PIRLS 2006 Assessment Framework
and Specifications — 2nd Edition
Describes the range of comprehension processes and two major purposes for reading—literary and informational—assessed by PIRLS 2006, as well as elements of the study design.
Publications are available in Portable Document Format (PDF). If you need to download a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which will enable you to read and print the reports, press the Acrobat icon.
The report is also available in a printed and bound volume which can be ordered by request. Shipping and handling is $5 for each book within the United States, US$15 per book for international orders. Print a faxable order form.
Download by chapter:
- Chapter 1:Overview of IEA's PIRLS Assessment
- Chapter 2:PIRLS Reading Purposes and Processes of Reading Comprehension
- Chapter 3:Contexts for Learning to Read
- Chapter 4:Assessment Design and Specifications
- Appendix A:PIRLS National Research Coordinators
- Appendix B:Sample Passages, Questions, and Scoring Guides
- Appendix C:Comparison of the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS) and the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA)