TIMSS 2011 International Results in Science
The TIMSS 2011 International Results in Science summarizes fourth and eighth grade student achievement in each of the 63 countries and 14 benchmarking entities which participated in TIMSS 2011. The report includes trends in science achievement over time for participants in the previous TIMSS 1995, 1999, 2003, and 2007 assessments, as well as student performance at the TIMSS International Benchmarks. Achievement results also are presented for science content and cognitive domains. The Science Report provides a rich array of information which describes the educational contexts for science, including home environment support, students' backgrounds and attitudes toward science, the science curriculum, teachers' education and training, classroom characteristics and activities, and school contexts for science learning and instruction.
Publications are available in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may need to download a copy of Adobe Reader, to enable you to read and print the reports, or press the Adobe icon.
The TIMSS 2011 International Results in Science also is available in a printed and bound volume, which can be ordered for a fee of US$50.00. Shipping and handling costs for orders within the U.S. are $5.00. Shipping and handling costs for international orders are US$20.00. Print a faxable order form.
Download by chapter:
- Front Matter
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: International Achievement in Science
- Chapter 2: Performance at the TIMSS 2011 International Benchmarks
- Chapter 3: International Student Achievement in the TIMSS Science Content and Cognitive Domains
- Chapter 4: Home Environment Support for Science Achievement
- Chapter 5: School Resources for Teaching Science
- Chapter 6: School Climate
- Chapter 7: Teacher Preparation
- Chapter 8: Classroom Instruction
- Appendix A: Countries Participating in TIMSS 2011 and in Earlier TIMSS Assessments
- Appendix B: Characteristics of the Items in the TIMSS 2011 Science Assessment
- Appendix C: Population Coverage and Sample Participation Rates
- Appendix D: Percentage of Students with Achievement Too Low for Estimation
- Appendix E: Average Percent Correct in the Science Content and Cognitive Domains
- Appendix F: The Test-Curriculum Matching Analysis—Science
- Appendix G: Percentiles and Standard Deviations of Science Achievement
- Appendix H: Organizations and Individuals Responsible for TIMSS 2011
TIMSS and PIRLS are copyrighted and are registered trademarks of IEA. Released items from TIMSS and PIRLS assessments are for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes only. Translated versions of items remain the intellectual property of IEA. Although the items are in the public domain, please print an acknowledgement of the source, including the year and name of the assessment you are using. If you publish any part of the released items from TIMSS 2011, please use the following acknowledgement:
SOURCE: TIMSS 2011 Assessment. Copyright © 2012 International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). Publisher: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Lynch School of Education, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA and International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA), IEA Secretariat, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Please note that IEA cannot authorize the use of texts or items that include third-party copyrighted materials (e.g., reading passages, photographs, images). Users of any third-party copyrighted materials must seek and receive copyright permission from the owner of the content as indicated in the copyright citation line.
Errata for printed version of TIMSS 2011 International Results in Science
(The above electronic files include the changes noted below.)
- Corrections were made to Exhibit 6.10 and associated text (pp.274-276).