PIRLS 2011 International Results in Reading
The PIRLS 2011 International Results in Reading summarizes fourth grade student achievement in each of the 49 countries and nine benchmarking entities which participated in PIRLS and prePIRLS 2011. The report includes trends in reading achievement over time for participants in the previous PIRLS 2001 and 2006 assessments, as well as student performance at the PIRLS International Benchmarks. Achievement results also are presented for reading purposes and comprehension processes. The Reading Report provides a rich array of information which describes the educational contexts for reading, including home environment support, students' backgrounds and attitudes toward reading, the reading curriculum, teachers' education and training, classroom characteristics and activities, and school contexts for reading learning and instruction.
Publications are available in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may need to download a copy of Adobe Reader, to enable you to read and print the reports, or press the Adobe icon.
The PIRLS 2011 International Results in Reading also is available in a printed and bound volume, which can be ordered for a fee of US$50.oo. Shipping and handling costs for orders within the U.S. are $5.00. Shipping and handling costs for international orders are US$20.00. Print a faxable order form.
Download by chapter:
- Front Matter
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: International Achievement in Reading
- Chapter 2: Performance at the PIRLS 2011 International Benchmarks
- Chapter 3: International Student Achievement in the PILRS Reading Purposes and Comprehension Processes
- Chapter 4: Home Environment Support for Reading Achievement
- Chapter 5: School Resources for Teaching Reading
- Chapter 6: School Climate
- Chapter 7: Teacher Preparation
- Chapter 8: Classroom Instruction
- Appendix A: Countries Participating in PIRLS 2011 and in Earlier PIRLS Assessments
- Appendix B: Characteristics of the Items in the PIRLS 2011 Assessment
- Appendix C: Population Coverage and Sample Participation Rates
- Appendix D: Percentage of Students with Achievement Too Low for Estimation
- Appendix E: Average Percent Correct in the Reading Purposes and Processes
- Appendix F: Percentiles and Standard Deviations of Reading Achievement
- Appendix G: Organizations and Individuals Responsible for PIRLS 2011
- Appendix H: Sample Passages, Questions, and Scoring Guides
- prePIRLS Passages Appendix
- PIRLS Reader
- PIRLS Dayhike Brochure
TIMSS and PIRLS are copyrighted and are registered trademarks of IEA. Released items from TIMSS and PIRLS assessments are for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes only. Translated versions of items remain the intellectual property of IEA. Although the items are in the public domain, please print an acknowledgement of the source, including the year and name of the assessment you are using. If you publish any part of the released items from PIRLS 2011, please use the following acknowledgement:
SOURCE: PIRLS 2011 Assessment. Copyright © 2012 International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). Publisher: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Lynch School of Education, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA and International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA), IEA Secretariat, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Please note that IEA cannot authorize the use of texts or items that include third-party copyrighted materials (e.g., reading passages, photographs, images). Users of any third-party copyrighted materials must seek and receive copyright permission from the owner of the content as indicated in the copyright citation line.